Up: Baseline: an IPR-based software
Previous: The patent-based software life
The final step is the IPR-based Software Life Cycle sketched in
Figure 5 that takes all aspects of IPR into
account during software development. For each phase the questions now become:
These questions form a comprehensive description of the IPR policy
one would expect of the biggest, multi-national, software development organizations.
- Does this phase violate copyrights of others? If so, remove those violations.
- Does this phase infringe patents? If so, negotiate a license with the
patent holder or take technical measures to avoid the infringements.
- Does this phase generate valuable knowledge? If so, consider the
following three options:
- Keep the knowledge secret and take appropriate legal or technical
measures to achieve this.
- Establish copyrights on this knowledge.
- File patent applications for this knowledge.