Solon P. Pissis, Ph.D
Life Sciences and Health research group
Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI)
Room: M242 – Phone: +31 20 592 4263
Faculty of Science, Bioinformatics
I read Computer Science at the Department of Informatics and Telecommunications of the University of Athens (2003-2007)
before completing my M.Sc in High-Performance Computing at the University of Edinburgh (2007-2008). I obtained my Ph.D in Computer Science from King's
College London (2008-2012). I also hold a Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice in Higher Education from King's College London (2015-2016).
I was a Research Associate in the Florida Museum of Natural History at the University of Florida and a Visiting
Scientist in the Scientific Computing group at the Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies (2012-2013).
I was appointed Lecturer (2013) and then Senior Lecturer (2018) in Computer Science in the Department of Informatics at King's College London.
In 2019 I joined the Life Sciences and Health research group at CWI,
where I lead the Algorithms and Data Structures for Sequence Analysis subgroup.
In 2020, I joined the Faculty of Science, Bioinformatics at the Vrije Universiteit as (part-time) Associate Professor.
My area of research within computer science is algorithms and data structures. Research topics I am interested in include algorithms and data structures on strings and trees for pattern matching,
indexing, comparison, and finding regularities. Applications thereof I am interested in include bioinformatics, data mining, data compression, and information retrieval.
We are looking for a talented PhD student on the subject of Computational Pan-genomics: Algorithms & Applications funded by the European Commission through the Horizon 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie ITN Programme.
- I was on the PC of ALENEX 2021, SOFSEM 2021, WALCOM 2021, CPM 2020, FUN 2020, ECCB 2020, WABI 2020, SPIRE 2020, WALCOM 2020, CPM 2019 (co-chair),
SPIRE 2019, IWOCA 2019, WABI 2018, WALCOM 2018, IWOCA 2018, SEA 2017 (co-chair),
IWOCA 2017, SPIRE 2017, CPM 2016, IWOCA 2016, SPIRE 2015, IWOCA 2015, IWOCA 2014, IWOCA 2013.
Latest Research Outputs
A fairly complete list is at DBLP. The complete list can be found in my CV [pdf].
- Panagiotis Charalampopoulos, Tomasz Kociumaka, Solon P. Pissis, Jakub Radoszewski, Wojciech Rytter, Juliusz Straszynski, Tomasz Walen, Wiktor Zuba: Circular pattern matching with k mismatches. J. Comput. Syst. Sci., 2021 [doi]
- Huiping Chen, Grigorios Loukides, Solon P. Pissis, Hau Chan: Influence maximization in the presence of vulnerable nodes: A ratio perspective. Theor. Comput. Sci., 2021 [doi]
- Amihood Amir, Panagiotis Charalampopoulos, Solon P. Pissis, Jakub Radoszewski: Dynamic and Internal Longest Common Substring. Algorithmica, 2020 [doi]
- Giulia Bernardini, Huiping Chen, Alessio Conte, Roberto Grossi, Grigorios Loukides, Nadia Pisanti, Solon P. Pissis, Giovanna Rosone, Michelle Sweering: Combinatorial Algorithms for String Sanitization. ACM Trans. Knowl. Discov. Data, 2020 [doi]
- Lorraine A.K. Ayad, Panagiotis Charalampopoulos, Solon P. Pissis: SMART: SuperMaximal Approximate Repeats Tool. Bioinformatics, 2020 [doi]
Solon P. Pissis CWI Disclaimer
Last modification: Jan 2021