Solon P. Pissis, Ph.D
Networks & Optimization group
Room: M242 – Phone: +31 20 592 4263
Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI)
Bioinformatics group, Computer Science
I read Computer Science at the Department of Informatics and Telecommunications of the University of Athens (2003-2007)
before completing my M.Sc in High-Performance Computing at the University of Edinburgh (2007-2008). I obtained my Ph.D in Computer Science from King's
College London (2008-2012). I also hold a Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice in Higher Education from King's College London (2015-2016).
I was a Research Associate in the Florida Museum of Natural History at the University of Florida and a Visiting
Scientist in the Scientific Computing group at the Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies (2012-2013).
I was appointed Lecturer (2013) and then Senior Lecturer (2018) in Computer Science in the Department of Informatics at King's College London.
In 2019 I joined CWI, where I am Senior Researcher in the Networks & Optimization group leading the
Algorithms and Data Structures for Sequence Analysis team.
In 2020, I also joined the Department of Computer Science at the Vrije Universiteit as (part-time) Associate Professor.
My research area is algorithms and data structures. Research topics I am interested in include algorithms and data structures on strings and graphs for pattern matching,
indexing, comparison, and finding regularities. Applications thereof I am interested in include data mining, bioinformatics, data compression, and information retrieval.
In particular, I am interested in applications when there is a very good theoretical reason.
- I am a member of the steering committee of ESA and ALENEX.
- I am co-chairing (with Rezaul A. Chowdhury) the programme committee of ALENEX 2024 to be held at Alexandria, Virginia, U.S.
- I organized ALGO 2023, the premier European event on algorithms, at CWI in Amsterdam.
- I was on the programme committee of PSC 2023 (co-chair), WABI 2023, ISAAC 2022, SPIRE 2022, WABI 2022, CPM 2022,
CiE 2022, SPIRE 2021, WABI 2021, ALENEX 2021, SOFSEM 2021, WALCOM 2021, CPM 2020, FUN 2020, ECCB 2020,
WABI 2020, SPIRE 2020, WALCOM 2020, CPM 2019 (co-chair), SPIRE 2019, IWOCA 2019, WABI 2018, WALCOM 2018, IWOCA 2018, SEA 2017 (co-chair), IWOCA 2017, SPIRE 2017, CPM 2016,
IWOCA 2016, SPIRE 2015, IWOCA 2015, IWOCA 2014, IWOCA 2013.
Latest Research Outputs
A fairly complete list is at DBLP. The complete list can be found in my CV [pdf].
- Giulia Bernardini, Gabriele Fici, Pawel Gawrychowski and Solon P. Pissis: Substring Complexity in Sublinear Space. ISAAC 2023 [arXiv]
- Solon P. Pissis, Michael Shekelyan, Chang Liu, Grigorios Loukides: Frequency-Constrained Substring Complexity. SPIRE 2023 [doi]
- Lorraine A.K. Ayad, Rayan Chikhi, Solon P. Pissis: Seedability: Optimising alignment parameters for sensitive sequence comparison. Bioinformatics Advances (2023) [doi]
- Lorraine A.K. Ayad, Grigorios Loukides, Solon P. Pissis: Text Indexing for Long Patterns: Anchors are All you Need. Proc. VLDB Endow. 2023 [url]
- Huiping Chen, Grigorios Loukides, Robert Gwadera, Solon P. Pissis: Heavy Nodes in a Small Neighborhood: Algorithms and Applications. SDM 2023 [doi]
Solon P. Pissis CWI Disclaimer
Last modification: Nov 2023