Solon P. Pissis, Ph.D
Life Sciences and Health research group
Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI)
Room: M242 – Phone: +31 20 592 4263
Faculty of Science, Bioinformatics
I read Computer Science at the Department of Informatics and Telecommunications of the University of Athens (2003-2007)
before completing my M.Sc in High-Performance Computing at the University of Edinburgh (2007-2008). I obtained my Ph.D in Computer Science from King's
College London (2008-2012). I also hold a Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice in Higher Education from King's College London (2015-2016).
I was a Research Associate in the Florida Museum of Natural History at the University of Florida and a Visiting
Scientist in the Scientific Computing group at the Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies (2012-2013).
I was appointed Lecturer (2013) and then Senior Lecturer (2018) in Computer Science in the Department of Informatics at King's College London.
In 2019 I joined the Life Sciences and Health research group at CWI,
where I lead the Algorithms and Data Structures for Sequence Analysis subgroup.
In 2020, I also joined the Faculty of Science, Bioinformatics at the Vrije Universiteit as (part-time) Associate Professor.
My area of research within computer science is algorithms and data structures. Research topics I am interested in include algorithms and data structures on strings and graphs for pattern matching,
indexing, comparison, and finding regularities. Applications thereof I am interested in include data mining, bioinformatics, data compression, and information retrieval.
In particular, I am interested in applications when there is a very good theoretical reason.
- I am on the PC of ISAAC 2022, SPIRE 2022, WABI 2022, CPM 2022, and CiE 2022. I was on the PC of SPIRE 2021, WABI 2021, ALENEX 2021, SOFSEM 2021, WALCOM 2021, CPM 2020, FUN 2020, ECCB 2020, WABI 2020, SPIRE 2020, WALCOM 2020, CPM 2019 (co-chair),
SPIRE 2019, IWOCA 2019, WABI 2018, WALCOM 2018, IWOCA 2018, SEA 2017 (co-chair), IWOCA 2017, SPIRE 2017, CPM 2016, IWOCA 2016, SPIRE 2015, IWOCA 2015, IWOCA 2014, IWOCA 2013.
Latest Research Outputs
A fairly complete list is at DBLP. The complete list can be found in my CV [pdf].
- Grigorios Loukides and Solon P. Pissis: All-pairs suffix/prefix in optimal time using Aho-Corasick space. Information Processing Letters (2022) [doi]
- Giulia Bernardini, Alessio Conte, Garance Gourdel, Roberto Grossi, Grigorios Loukides, Nadia Pisanti, Solon P. Pissis, Giulia Punzi, Leen Stougie, Michelle Sweering: Hide and Mine in Strings: Hardness, Algorithms, and Experiments. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (2022) [doi]
- Haodi Zhong, Grigorios Loukides, Solon P. Pissis: Clustering demographics and sequences of diagnosis codes. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics (2022) [doi]
- Panagiotis Charalampopoulos, Costas S. Iliopoulos, Tomasz Kociumaka, Solon P. Pissis, Jakub Radoszewski, and Juliusz Straszyński: Efficient Computation of Sequence Mappability. Algorithmica (2022) [doi]
- Haodi Zhong, Grigorios Loukides, Solon P. Pissis: Clustering sequence graphs. Data & Knowledge Engineering (2022) [doi]
Solon P. Pissis CWI Disclaimer
Last modification: May 2022