How to submit to the SIGCHI Bulletin
The SIGCHI Bulletin is produced electronically right up to the
camera-ready stage. Therefore electronic submissions are greatly preferred.
The deadline for each issue is 3 months before the first day of the
month of the issue, i.e.
though you should bear in mind with time-sensitive material like
calls, that because of postal delays many readers don't get their
copies until a month or more after the cover date.
Free-standing submissions should normally be between 800 and 10000 words long.
Submissions should include a short biography of the authors and
contact addresses, including email.
Please remember that the Bulletin is read by an international
- try to avoid idiomatic or convoluted expression
- express dates by writing the month name out in full
- include the country name in addresses
- include the international code in telephone numbers
- don't use phrases like "in this country": say which country you mean
- similarly don't use the words "overseas" and "international" when
you really mean "outside of my country".
Many readers take offence at the use of
gender-specific language, such as using
"he" and "his" for the general case. It is
surprisingly easy to rephrase sentences
to avoid this, even without using ugly
expedients like "he/she" "he or she" or
"s/he", for instance by using the plural.
In general we will edit text to be gender
Any consistent English spelling is
acceptable (US, British, Australian, etc.)
Please do not number headings. Nouns,
adjectives, verbs and adverbs should be
The Bulletin prefers to use `rational'
punctuation, that is to say, we put punctuation where logic would lead you to
expect it to be. For instance, we use
"word", and not "word," to punctuate
quoted text. However if you prefer to
use the US standard of putting the
punctuation within the quotes, we
won't change it.
We do not put double spaces between
sentences. We will change this if there
are double spaces.
Text can be accepted as
Please include a section headed "About
the Author(s)" with a short biography of
Please also include a section "Author's
Address" with contact information,
including email address.
Don't forget to include your country,
and international dialling code if you
include telephone numbers.
It is usually useful if you also supply us
with the images you use separately. GIF
format is acceptable, but we can accept
a number of other formats.
- Frame Maker Binary, Interchange Format (MIF) and Markup Language (MML).
Templates are available for articles (2 columns) and for reports (3 columns).
- Microsoft Word. Here is a Word 6
template. It helps us if you use the paragraph types,
using that little box in the top left corner that usually
says "Normal" (and not just select text and make it bold for
headings, for instance).
- WordPerfect 5.0 (Unix) 5.1 (DOS)
- Raw troff, troff -man, troff -me, troff -ms
- IBM Document Content Architecture Revisable-Form-Text (DCA RFT)
- Interleaf ASCII Format 6.4 (TPS 4.1)
- ASCII text
- Text using ISO Latin 1 character set
- Text using Hewlett-Packard Roman8 character set
Images can be accepted as:
or at a pinch:
In order of preference, submissions can be
Please bear in mind that we receive many submissions all at once
around the time of a deadline, and
it can take us several days to work through them. Please don't
expect an immediate acknowledgment.
- Sent by ftp direct to ftp.cwi.nl:/sigchi/incoming,
with an accompanying email. (Please check that the files arrive with
the same size as you sent them. If not check that you sent
binary files as binary, and not as text).
- Packed with any combination of the utilities below and emailed.
- Sent on floppy disk (preferably MS-DOS format).
Acceptable packaging of submissions:
Please note that the files are not being read in on their original
machines. We don't for instance have easy access to a Macintosh or PC,
just programs to convert their files. This means, for instance, that
we can't easily accept `self-unpacking' files.
Editor-in-Chief, SIGCHI Bulletin,
1098 SJ Amsterdam
Telephone: +31-20-592 4138
Fax: +31-20-592 4199
Email: CHI-Bulletin-Editor@acm.org (please use this address, and not a personal one, since it allows easier filtering, and easier transition to a new editor).